Holiday Safety

by abrown

Nov
30
2016

At 417 Pet Sitting and 92.9 The Beat we want the best for you AND your pets this holiday season; following these helpful hints will help keep pets out of danger, while still enjoying the food, fun, and festivities that accompany the holidays.

Let’s start by not being a turkey. Holiday treats, such as rich, fatty scraps, bones from pork and poultry, alcoholic beverages, chocolate, and other sweets and candies can be harmful or toxic to
pets. These foods have been linked to pancreatitis in pets. Signs and symptoms of an inflamed pancreas include vomiting and abdominal pain, and severe pancreatitis requires emergency medical care and treatment.

Common holiday pet poisons include plants. Holiday plants that are poisonous to
pets include the berries of the mistletoe, holly, hibiscus, Christmas roses, and large
poinsettia. Keep these out of your pet’s reach.

Pets and bread dough don’t mix well, especially those pizza crusts. When bread dough is ingested it continues to expand, causing intestinal blockage which usually requires vet assistance to pass that is not only expensive, but highly invasive with lengthy healing time.

O’ Christmas Tree. Below it. In it. On top of it. Around it. You name it and the tree
poses the possibility of harm to your pets. Pine tree water can be poisonous, so it’s best
to use an enclosed tree stand. If that’s not possible, be sure to cover open tree stand
bases. The tree should be secure to the wall with strong wire or twine because a toppling
tree can cause serious injuries to dogs and cats.

Decorations can be dangerous. Tinsel entices canines and felines alike. Glass ornaments
look like shiny fetch balls. Ornaments and hooks, twinkling lights, electrical wiring –
they all pose significant danger to pets by ingestion or contact. When no one is around
to supervise, unplug lights and any electrical decorations a pet can access. Cover or
tack down electrical cords.

Sugar free doesn’t guarantee a happy ending for pets. Xylitol, a sugar substitute, causes a
dog’s blood sugar to drop quickly. This poisoning can be treated, but causes liver
failure if not treated properly and immediately.

Not all nuts are all they’re cracked up to be. Dogs experience severe weakness in their
back legs, appearing paralyzed, after ingesting macadamia nuts. Dogs usually recover
from this condition within three days.

417 Pet Sitting wants to help keep your pets safe this holiday season and beyond. We suggest following these seven tips for the holidays. For more information about pet safety or in-home pet sitting contact us at 417.827.7387 or 417PetSitting.com.

Happy Holidays from our family to yours!

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/4 (0 votes cast)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Upcoming Events

    There are no upcoming events at this time.

View All Events»


Licensed Bonded Insured