Keeping Your Pets Safe For the Holidays

by signature

Nov
22
2010

Seven tips to help you and your pets safely enjoy the holidays

Following these helpful hints will help keep pets out of danger, while still enjoying the food, fun and festivities that accompany the holidays. Holidays can be extremely fun for humans, but often are a dreadful experience for pets.

Don’t be a turkey. Holiday treats, such as rick, fatty scraps, bones from pork and poultry, alcoholic beverages, chocolate and other sweets and candies can be harmful or toxic to pets. These foods have been linked to pancreatitis in pets. Signs and symptoms of an inflamed pancreas include vomiting and abdominal pain, and severe pancreatitis requires emergency medical care and treatment.

Common holiday pet poisons include plants. Holiday plants that are poisonous to pets include the berries of the mistletoe, holly, hibiscus, Christmas roses and the poinsettia. Keep these out of your pet’s reach.

Pets and bread dough don’t mix well. When bread dough is ingested it continues to rise, causing an intestinal blockage.

O’ Christmas Tree. Below it. In it. On top of it. Around it. You name it and the tree poses the possibility of harm to your pets. Pine tree water can be poisonous, so it’s best to use an enclosed tree stand. If that’s not possible, be sure to cover open tree stand bases. The tree should be secure to the wall with strong wire or twine because a toppling tree can cause serious injuries to dogs and cats.

Decorations can be dangerous. Tinsel entices canines and felines alike. Glass ornaments look like shiny fetch balls. Ornaments and hooks, twinkling lights, electrical wiring – they all pose significant danger to pets by ingestion or contact. When no one’s around to supervise, unplug lights and any electrical decorations a pet has access to. Cover or tack down electrical cords.

Sugar free doesn’t guarantee a happy ending. Xylitol, a sugar substitute, causes a dog’s blood sugar to drop quickly. This poisoning can be treated, but causes liver failure if not treated properly.

Not all nuts are all they’re cracked up to  be. Dogs experience severe weakness in their back legs, appearing paralyzed, after ingesting macadamia nuts. Dogs usually recover from this condition within three days.

417 Pet Sitting wants to help keep your pets safe and suggests following these seven tips for the holidays. For more information about pet safety or in-home pet sitting contact Amanda

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 4.0/4 (1 vote cast)
Keeping Your Pets Safe For the Holidays, 4.0 out of 4 based on 1 rating

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Upcoming Events

    There are no upcoming events at this time.

View All Events»


Licensed Bonded Insured